Hi, I’m Maddie. I’m mother to 2 wonderful young people and stepmum to one wonderful, all-grown-up person. I’m a Recognised birth and postnatal doula, doula course leader and doula mentor. I have also been a breastfeeding counsellor since 2005 and founded a well-known breastfeeding support group in 2007. I am
Birth doulas are non-medical professionals who can provide you with emotional and practical support during your pregnancy, birth and after your baby is born. Studies show that when women have the kind of continuous support that doulas offer, they are less likely to need medical intervention, more likely to experience a straightforward vaginal birth and more likely to feel satisfied with their birth experience. Doulas have a wide range of non-clinical skills and lots of experience that they can use to help you have a positive birth experience. Every family and every birth is different, but because your doula works for you, and not for your medical care providers, our service can be tailored to provide you with truly individualised care. Our only agenda is to meet your needs – whatever those needs are.
What do doulas do?
- Provide a supportive listening ear and be a sounding board for you as you journey through pregnancy, birth and the early days and weeks of parenthood.
- Help you to understand your options, choices and rights for birth and make sure you have all the evidence-based information you need to make decisions about your care.
- Help you to put together a useful birth plan.
- Attend antenatal appointments with you when necessary and help you to communicate your needs to medical professionals.
- Provide a continuous presence from the early stages of labour until after your baby is born, supporting, reassuring, encouraging and caring for you and your partner all the way.
- Help you to stay as relaxed and calm as possible throughout your birth. This may include using practical techniques such as massage, guided visualisations or breathing techniques.
- Helping you to stay mobile and active (if that’s what you want) and suggesting helpful positions or movements for labour.
- Helping you and your partner to understand what is happening, explaining any medical procedures, providing reassurance and being your advocate if needed.
- Supporting your birth partner and helping them to understand how they can help you.
- Providing breastfeeding and infant care support after your birth.
- Checking on you regularly during the first few weeks after your baby is born and helping you to access any additional support you need.
And just in case you’re wondering there are a few things that doula’s DON’T do…
- Doulas DON’T provide medical advice, perform clinical tasks, or diagnose conditions
- Doulas DON’T make decisions for you or push you towards certain choices
- Doulas DON’T judge your decisions. Our support is unconditional
- Doulas DON’T replace your partner – we are on your team!
All BirthSense hypnobirthing teachers are practising, experienced doulas. To find out more about how we can help you check out our profiles below or get in touch!
Hi, I’m Jess and I’m a recognised birth doula based in Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. I can support you and your birth partner(s) to make you feel confident and calm, supported and happy through your pregnancy and your birth. I will make sure you have what’s needed to make you feel