What Does a Doula Do? Doulas provide practical, emotional and educational support to families during pregnancy, during labour and birth and in the early hours, days and weeks after their baby is born. It’s like hiring someone to be your big sister, if your big sister had been to loads
What is Hypnobirthing?Hypnobirthing is a fully comprehensive birth education programme, where you will learn simple but effective techniques to help you have a calmer, more comfortable birth. In your hypnobirthing classes you will learn:
- How to eliminate any unnecessary fear or anxiety and approach your birth feeling positive and confident.
- How to protect yourself from negative cultural perceptions and ‘horror stories’ about birth.
- Skills which will help you to control your fight/flight response during your birth so that you can avoid panicking and stay calm and in control whatever the situation.
- How to use deep relaxation, breathing and visualisation techniques to help you manage the sensations of labour, reducing the likelihood that you will need pain relieving drugs.
- How to ‘breathe’ rather than ‘push’ your baby out, reducing the likelihood of tearing or perineal trauma
Does Hypnobirthing Work?Hypnobirthing will almost certainly help you to feel more confident and less anxious as you approach your birth. There’s also an excellent chance that you will be able to learn some techniques which will help you to stay calmer and more comfortable than you might have been otherwise. Hypnobirthing cannot guarantee that you will have an easy unmedicated birth, but it will certainly improve the chances of one if that’s what you are aiming for. Hypnobirthing is suitable for all kinds of births. Whether you are planning an elective caesarean, an induction, birth with an epidural or a home waterbirth, hypnobirthing can help you to have the best experience possible.Of course, some people experience greater success with hypnobirthing than others. We would recommend that to maximise your chances of success you should think carefully about how you choose to learn. A well designed, comprehensive course with an experienced teacher who has first-hand experience of supporting women using the techniques, will always be preferable to trying to learn from a book. You will also need to practise at home!You can learn hypnobirthing privately or in a group course. Contact us to find out more!
Read More »